Definition of Solid Waste
These definitions are crucial to understanding the regulation of hazardous waste under Subtitle C of the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA). Before a material can be classified as a hazardous waste, it must first be a solid waste. The resources listed below and throughout this website are provided to help determine whether materials are solid wastes and therefore potentially subject to hazardous waste regulation. Users unfamiliar with the Definition of Solid Waste (DSW) regulations may wish to use the Definition of Solid Waste Tool below as an introduction.
The definition of solid waste is in Section 261.2 of the RCRA Regulations.
Definition of Solid Waste resources:
- DSW Public Meeting - Information regarding the June 30, 2009 public meeting on the DSW final rule
- DSW Tool - An interactive guide through the DSW regulations, with links to key resources, to help determine if a material is subject to RCRA hazardous waste regulations.
- DSW Compendium - A collection of written materials addressing specific issues related to the federal definition of solid waste.
- DSW Federal Register Notices - Provides information on current and past rulemakings and links to Federal Register Notices specific to the definition of solid waste.
- DSW Resources - Provides links to other resources relating to the definition of solid waste, such the relevant Code of Federal Regulations language and RCRA Training Modules.
- DSW Implementation Support - A resource for facilities managing hazardous secondary materials under the 2008 Definition of Solid Waste final rule.
- Environmental Justice Methodology for the DSW Final Rule – Information regarding EPA’s efforts to conduct an environmental justice analysis for the EPA rule.